Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gifts

Gifts
The gift-givingness of the Japanese people is overwhelming to me. I have received more gifts since coming here to Ibaraki than I could have ever expected! And actually, I am meaning literal gifts, as well as intangible ones. Friendship, love and care abound, and the gift of time. But also warmer clothes for the impending autumn, cute accessories to wear, delicious meals, even money! I have received again and again. Today my host mom mentioned (at least I think- the language barrier sometimes does me wrong and I misunderstand) that they will be giving me a yakata, a kimono. That is a very nice and often expensive gift. I don't deserve these things! 
The Japanese habit of gift giving reminds me of my duty to share God's gifts, the best gifts of all. Service, friendship, love, and most of all the message of His son. If the Japanese are called by Buddha to give, how much more am I called to give by the living God?!
This week we began having LST sessions with students at IC. I met with my first student Monday and am meeting with a second tomorrow. On Monday as we began I found out that this girl had never read the Bible or even heard the Nativity story before. It was amazing to share this with her! At the same time, it was difficult to try to show her that this story could be real for her, and not just real for me-- since I'm the Christian, the American. 
They told us this week that IC, though founded as a Christian institution, is mostly non-Christian now, and the name Ibaraki Christian actually indicates that they are an American-style university. So, how can I show my LST partner that Christianity means more than America? That America is not defined by Christianity, and Christianity is so much more and better than just America?
I am so grateful for the gifts I have received here, and so grateful for the gift I received many years ago, when I gave my life to Christ and found a new one in Him. I hope and pray to adequately share that with the people here, as they are sharing so much of themselves with me. 

"I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart;
I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power.
I have told everyone in the great assembly
of your unfailing love and faithfulness." (Psalm 40:10 NLT)

Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Loved these thoughts and how you are working through them. Love you for sharing them. Praying for you every day.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete