Thursday, April 7, 2011

the cult of emotion

I have a theory about this culture that we live in.
I believe that we are living in a culture which over-glorifies emotion.
From chick flicks to Disney princess movies, we see girls that quickly fall head-over heels in emotional love with the men of their dreams. Singing often ensues. But nowhere in these movies is real life or real love portrayed.
Even on Air-1 this morning I heard a Christian song that glorified emotion, which said that "it's gonna be more like falling in love than something to believe in." While I do agree that we should be in love with God, that we must love our loving Creator in return, it is not like "falling in love," or at least not in the way the media tells us to fall in love.
I have been learning myself even that love is not all about emotion. Not with God, not with my family, not even with my boyfriend. I often do have emotion towards these, but the everyday business of love is not emotional love, but rather steadfast, loyal love. The kind of love that is patient, kind, not self-seeking, keeps no record of wrong, always trusts, always perseveres, drives out fear. Real love takes hard work. That kind of love doesn't fall apart when the emotion falls flat for a little while. That kind of love shows others the joy of our Lord. That kind of love is what the world needs.
"Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 COR 13:13

God Bless
-Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Darling girl, these are brave, true thoughts. Thanks for sharing them. You are growing, growing. Love you so.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete